Saturday, August 7, 2010

Numbered Stacks

After laying out all my blocks as they will be sewn together, I then stacked each row of blocks in order with the first block to be sewn on top. My quilt has 9 rows instead of the 11 the book calls for. Somehow I wound up with one less one-and-a-half inch green strip. It doesn't make sense to me to go back to the quilt store for that little amount of fabric. I'd end up buying something else and blowing my budget, so 9 rows it is. ok so with 9 stacks next to my machine I started sewing, after each row, pressing and starching, then back to the machine. I don't have time to sew the whole thing all at once, so whenever I can get a row put together, I do that until I get another 10 minutes or so of sewing time. Let me tell you, I'm as organized as I can be, but I still find ways of goofing up a project. Today I went to put the next blocks on and started with the bottom instead of the top. It looks the same, each corner has a solid block, but stack number 3 did not have the right block in it. Fortunately it didn't take me long to figure out I had stack number 7's block, not 3, so I finished working my way backward through the stacks. Good thing I can count backward.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I startled myself a few nights ago when I looked at my stacks and thought that I had rails aligned wrong - then realized that of course when you have half of the next row exposed that you will see both alignments of the rails...

Cheers, K