When I started this last year, I had a bundle of fat quarters I won in a gift exchange. I loved the look of them together, and put a large sunflower print as the back, I wish I had taken a picture of the back! I machine quilted it, just an outline around the star and along the main strips radiating out from the star to the edge. The log cabin block was the easiest way to include a bit of all the fabrics, the middle strip is too wide really, but that's the way I made my eight point star, I didn't really measure anything or draw out the pattern first, just cut out strips and made my points, and the finished product evolved from there. The binding is excess backing folded over to the front twice and sewn down.