Saturday, July 17, 2010

Quilters Academy: Light makes a difference


I took this picture in sunlight, next to a sunny window in my kitchen. Look at yesterday's picture and compare the difference. The picture I took yesterday is under what I think is adequate lighting to sew by, overhead light with a floor lamp next to my machine for more focused light. The block is the same, but in yesterday's pic looks way more yellow than it actually is. Both pics were taken with my phone.


Another thing Harriet emphasizes in her book is the importance of pressing the right way. You can see that my pressing is not as good as it should be. I don't iron, as a rule. My husband irons all our clothes. I iron in more wrinkles instead of getting them out. Maybe I should ask hubby to iron my sewing as well?


I can remember my mom and two older sisters ironing, the smell of the starch and the steam. It was a good, clean smell. They ironed pillowcases and handkerchiefs, dresses and blouses. I don't miss those days, but it is a good memory. That reminds me, I need to buy some starch.

No comments: