Sunday, September 27, 2009

Comfort food

I have been in need of comfort lately, the edible kind. I have lots of loving family and friends, not so much family, since I'm missing both my mom and dad now. The food I've found solace in are homemade scratch pancakes and Hello Dollys. I don't have a lot of time to cook, so the recipes have to be simple and good, which both of these are.

Pancakes with Apples and Walnuts

Mix 3/4 cup self rising flour with 2 tbs cinnamon and 2 tbs sugar. Add 3/4 to 1 cup of milk depending on how thin you want your pancake. I wanted a crepe that I could fold, so I added more milk, buttered the pan and poured enough batter in to cover the bottom of the pan. When it bubbles all over, flip it. After a minute or to and it is brown enough, plate it, put a tablespoon of cream cheese in the middle, spread it, fold the crepe, add more cream cheese if you want, fold it again, top with sliced fresh apples, walnuts, and maple syrup. Talk about comforting. My mother in law loved hers.

Hello Dollys

Spread a roll of sugar cookie dough in the bottom of a 9x12 pan. sprinkle some coconut over that, then some semisweet choc chips, then pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over that. Bake it for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. After it cools, cut in to squares and share with your friends. Great with a glass of cold milk.

Tip of the day, after you eat like this for a few days, you learn to sew standing up, it helps you burn calories. Trust me!

No comments: